BUG PROOFING TIPS
Here are a few tips to keep them at bay:
* Eliminate their food supply, including water.
- Clean up excess and spilled pet food daily.
- Remove crumbs from behind stove and between cabinets with a vacuum hose.
- Wash dishes immediately.
- Keep leftovers in tightly sealed containers.
- Take trash out nightly in tightly sealed receptacles.
- Fix leaking pipes.
- Drain sinks, since standing water will attract thirsty roaches.
- Keep all drains plugged when not in use.
* Seal all cracks and gaps in your home’s exterior.
- Caulk around cracks in water pipes.
- Screen vents in attics and crawlspaces.
- Use fine-mesh screening and duct tape to seal off holes around your home.
* Add weather stripping to doors, and clear caulk to seal the joint where the doorframe meets the wall.
* Install a sturdy aluminum threshold under your door. Add a door sweep to close the gap even tighter.
* Keep trees near your house well-trimmed. Branches and leaves make a perfect bridge to the inside of your home for bugs.
*Remove all natural pest and rodent habitats within 10 feet of your home, including tall grass, foliage, piles of straw and/or leaves, wooden crates and patio rugs.